The position of Mars and Venus alongwith ruler of Seventh house in the kundli or natal astrology chart is very important for a happy and stable married life. Venus is the natural or universal Kalatrakaraka or significator of marriage or partner (esp. for males). For females, both Mars and Jupiter are assessed.Ruler of Seventh house is different in each chart and that signifies marriage too. Hence it can be called "customized kalatrakaraka" that is specific for each chart.
Mars assumes a significant position in astrological match making because of its association with a specific dosha called as "Mangal Dosha" or "Kuja Dosha" and the person who has it in his chart is a "Manglik". The dosha comes into effect when Mars is posited in 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th and 12th houses of the natal chart.
There are some reasons for selecting these houses.
2nd house represents family.
4th house represents happiness.
7th house represents spouse (Husband or Wife).
8th house represents Lifespan(Longevity) of spouse.
12th house represents bed pleasures.
There are certain confusions and schools of thought regarding this topic.
1) One school of thought says Mangal dosha should be assessed from Lagna, Moon and Venus. The one existing in Lagna kundli is the mildest one. One in Rashi or Moon Kundli is moderate and the one that exists in Venus kundli is the strongest dosha. Moon or Rashi kundli is the one where we consider the "house in which Moon is present" as lagna or ascendant. Similarly venus kundli is the one where "house containing Venus" becomes the ascendant.
2) The other school of thought gives primary importance to Lagna Kundli only as it represents the time of birth and persists for a few hours. Moon remains in the same rashi for two and half days and Venus remains in one rashi for 1 month.
The second school of thought seems more scientific.
3) It is also said that if the partner also has Mangal dosha, there is mutual cancellation of the doshas. ( I have contradictory evidence against this in literature)
4) Combination of Mars with natural benefic planets such as Jupiter, waxing Moon and Mercury cancels the dosha. ( I believe that these planets should be benefic in the specific chart also. There is a chance that a natural benefic may become malefic in a particular chart based on the house it owns. For example, Jupiter is a malefic for taurus ascendant because it owns 8th and 11th houses.)
5) Presence of Jupiter in the lagna cancels the dosha. (Better if Jupiter is benefic in that chart also. For example Scorpio/Aries ascendants etc.)
Hence we can not simply say that a chart has a dosha when Mars is posited in those FIVE houses. It has to be malefic and retain its malefic strength.There are many other factors that need to be looked into before we daignose a chart as manglik.My next post will deal with this topic.